Welcome to a new month! How was your Fourth of July? For many reasons, it’s always been one of my favorite holidays, so I always find a way to celebrate. But when you have to move your entire life (for the second time in five weeks) during a holiday weekend, things can get very “oh, I can’t stop to enjoy myself” fast. Instead to completely stressing myself out with all the adulting we had to get done, we made some time to do something we haven’t done in a long time — a day date picnic!
Heinen’s Grocery Store recently gave me the inspiration to get outdoors with my dining and a PTO Monday was the perfect day to do it. After two long days of cardboard boxes, UHauls, sore muscles and exhaustion, we needed something to enjoy! And if you are anything like me, shopping at Heinen’s makes you smile! So off we went to the Brecksville location — a quick drive away from our new digs.
The things that are a must-buy when I’m on the hunt for picnic goods:
- Cheese: And there is NO better place to buy cheese around town than at Heinen’s, IMHO. The selection is endless.
- Bread: Their Rosemary loaf is the stuff dreams are made of. So many other options are so delicious too.
- Olives: While olives aren’t my husband’s favorite, a visit to Heinen’s olive bar is a special treat for just me.
- Fruit: We have the salty and savory covered, gotta add the bright bite of a piece of fruit. I love the already cut, pre-packed options including all those melons that you really don’t want to cut on a picnic table!
- Beverages: The right beer or wine makes kicking back outdoors so much more enjoyable. Heinen’s beer and wine reps are so knowledgeable and always help me to pick out the perfect bottle.
- Pre-made eats: including another must-have, dessert! Circle back to the bakery and grab something yummy.
Then, throw it all in your handy picnic basket and away you go!
Okay, so you’ll see our basket it a bit on the modest size and our appetites on Monday were ravenous, so it took a few extra grocery bags to get out picnic haul from the Brecksville Heinen’s directly across the street to the park. We weren’t messing around on our date day picnic outing!
Other important items of note:
- Marcona Almonds — the obsession of me and my coworkers, had to grab them to have a home too!
- Heinen’s Fruit and Seed Crisp Crackers to go with those cheeses
- From the bakery, the pre-sliced French bread — again, more cheese “delivery” options!
- My Rhinegeist Brewery Bubbles Rose Ale (AKA the pink can you’ve been seeing all over Instagram this summer) and Hans’ Ballast Point Brewing Company’s Grapefruit Sculpin IPA
- Cherry Pie from Heinen’s bakery – Hans can’t turn down a good dessert!
We sat at that picnic bench for a nice bit of time Monday afternoon: snacking, conversing, kicking back and relaxing. I can’t tell you how lovely it was to take a break from our hectic to-do list and just focus on each other for awhile. It didn’t have to be a date activity that was all planned out in advance. It was so easy to grab some ready-to-go items from Heinen’s and then find a quiet spot in the nearby park to enjoy our eats and drinks. Thanks for the inspiration to recharge and slow down, Heinen’s!
What’s your go-to picnic item? Tell me in the comments below!
Disclosure: Heinen’s approached me with an opportunity to shop at their store for a picnic and share it with my followers. In return, I received a Heinen’s gift card to purchase items. All thoughts and opinions are my own.