With a happy heart (and full hands!), I’m happy to announce our #HansenExpansion of 2016 is complete!
Baby Brenna Marie finally joined us on Saturday, November 5th at 6:10pm — a whole week and a day past her due date. At a full 41 weeks gestation, she came weighing 7 pounds, 1 ounce and measuring 19 inches long — after a 23 hour induction/labor/delivery process.
The induction/labor/delivery process included:
- four doses (& sixteen hours of wait time) of Cytotec
- 3 tries to place an epidural (because I knew there was no chance of this low pain tolerance gal making it through without assistance) and the discovery that it was going to do me little good when I started having severe leg cramps (since baby was hanging out on my sacral nerve)
- Pitocin to get the contractions going and consistent (which took me from 4 to 9 centimeters dilated in just an hour)
- several panic attacks (my “yoga breathing” wasn’t coming as naturally)
- a handful of attempts to leave (Yup — like “I’m done with this, I’m going home to my dogs” leave the hospital. Mid-labor. Yup.)
- only 50 minutes of pushing (which honestly only felt like 15)
- and the grand arrival of this little bundle of joy:
For eleven days since her birth, I’ve been trying to put this experience, these feelings and this little girl in words. Blame my writer’s block on lack of sleep, troubles with breastfeeding or feelings of uncertainty. (Or the difficulty in typing with one hand!) But through all the pain, tears, doubts and fears, deep down I know that crazy 23 hour experience is going to pay off for a lifetime.
So welcome to our world, Brenna Bear. Get your rest now — because we’ve got one heck of an adventure ahead of us.