My girl Jessa shared this graphic via Shakti via Striking Truths earlier this week:
Reading that, I suddenly realized that this month of May, after my change in routine of a first weekend, I was doing just that.
…Closing the windows of Facebook and Twitter when I needed to buckle down and focus.
…Still reading blogs in my Google Reader but not feeling obligated to ALWAYS click through and leave a comment. (Sorry friends.)
…Not jumping to look at my phone every time that little notification bell went off.
…More pup walks. LOTS of more bike rides. Laying outside and soaking in the sun – iPhone stuffed far away in my purse.
…And I read a book. A real paperback. One you could hold in your hands, not just copy off of an electronic device.
It was all pretty epic. And as I’m a sucker for motivational inspiration, I immediately signed up for Striking Truths‘ daily email blast. Last night, this arrived in my inbox:
This popped up as though perfectly cued after conversations about moving forward while finding balance as a freelance event planner and a yoga teacher in the near future. I can be both of those things and be damn good at both of them – IF and ONLY if I remember to stay present. Awareness is a tricky skill set to master. I’m no guru – nor will I ever be – but it’s quite the journey to attempt to get there.
The quote now keeping me focused:
“When you live for a strong purpose, then hard work isn’t an option. It’s a necessity.” – Steve Pavlina
Sorry May, you’ve been a doozy of a month and it’s time for us to part. June 2012, I’m ready.
May’s almost over, so it’s time to start planning June! Need some ideas? There are plenty listed below – and all will keep you busy in Cleveland!
SOMETHING FOR EVERYONE:
ZippityZooDoo to benefit the Cleveland Zoological Society
- Friday, June 8 from 6PM to 12PM
- at the Cleveland Metroparks Zoo in Cleveland
- From the Zoo’s website: Enjoy cocktails & hors d’oeuvres, special entertainment, an amazing gourmet dinner (check out the amazing menu here) and dancing under the stars. Roam on over to our silent auction, featuring priceless Zoo experiences.
- Tickets and more info available at http://www.ClevelandZooSociety.org/events_zzd.html
Weapons of Mass Creation Fest 2012
- Friday, June 8 thru Sunday, June 10
- 5400 Detroit Ave, Cleveland, OH
- From the Facebook event page: The Weapons of Mass Creation Fest is the premier art, design, and music event in the Midwest. Now in its third year, 1,000+ attendees will descend upon Cleveland for three days in June to see 20 speakers, 20 designers, and nearly 30 bands.
- Visit www.wmcfest.com for more information. Tickets can be purchased here: https://wmcfest.com/tickets/
Waterloo Arts Festival to benefit Arts Collinwood
- Saturday, June 30 from 12PM to 7PM
- along Waterloo Road in Cleveland’s North Collinwood neighborhood
- Features artists, performers, food vendors… everything a summer festival should have! And it’s FREE!
- More info at their event website: http://waterlooartsfest.com/new/
July Sneak Peek: 2012 Veggie U Food and Wine Celebration
- Saturday, July 21, 2012 from 5PM to 9PM
- at the Culinary Vegetable Institute in Milan
- From the event’s Facebook page: “The grounds are alive on this summer Saturday with the aromas and flavors of the world’s best cuisine, food demonstrations, wine education and samplings, and the chance to contribute to a great cause through the unique offerings of the silent and live auctions. This annual fundraiser benefits Veggie U.”
- EARLY BIRD TICKET SALES END ON JUNE 1ST: save $20 on general admission and $50 on VIP tickets by clicking here to purchase tickets or call 419-499-7500.
- More info – including the list of celebrity chefs – available at www.VeggieUFoodandWine.com
GET YOUR OM ON :: FOR THE YOGIS:
Yoga at the Greater Cleveland Aquarium
- Every Tuesday and Saturday at 9AM – starting on Saturday, June 2nd
- at the Greater Cleveland Aquarium in the Flats
- Because an hour long yoga class in front of the shark tank sounds awesome! Includes your admission to the aquarium!
- Register by calling 216.862.8803. More info here: http://greaterclevelandaquarium.com/yoga
Yoga Rocks The Park Cleveland Opening Day
Workshops at Nishkama Yoga: register at Nishkama’s MINDBODY website under the Workshops tab:
- Saturday, June 2nd: Inversions with Ylonda at Nishkama Yoga Independence from 2PM to 4PM
- Sunday, June 10th: Studying the Sun Salutes with Ginny Walters at Nishkama Yoga North Olmsted from 6PM to 8PM
- Saturday, June 23rd: Inversions with Ylonda at Nishkama Yoga North Olmsted from 12PM to 2PM
Bike to Yoga with Great Lakes Touring Company and Nishkama Yoga
STEP AWAY FROM THE COMPUTER :: FOR THE BLOGGERS:
OBA June Cleveland Blogger Downtown Bike Tour with BikeCLE
- Tuesday, June 12, 2012 from 6PM to 8PM
- Starting at The Bike Rack in downtown Cleveland
- Join us for a tour of Downtown Cleveland with Great Lakes Touring Company AKA @BikeCLE!
- More info at the Facebook event page: https://www.facebook.com/events/404495636228327/
FOR THE RUNNERS: IT’S 5K SEASON!
Pier W Copper River Salmon 5K Run to benefit Malachi House
- Saturday, June 9: race starts at 10AM
- Lakewood Park Outdoor Pavilion (14532 Lake Ave., Lakewood, Ohio 44107)
- From the event organizers: Celebrate the health benefits of salmon and Reik’s determination to bring Cleveland the freshest, most delicious seafood with a 5K run. Lunch overlooking Lake Erie on Pier W’s deck will follow the race with salmon burgers and vegetarian/vegan options as well.
- Register at the Hermes website at http://www.hermescleveland.com/roadracing/events/pierw.asp.
PurpleStride Cleveland 2012 to benefit the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network, Cleveland Affiliate
Dean DePiero’s 5K Run and 2K Fun Walk to benefit The Parma Hospital Foundation
July Sneak Peek: Second Annual Parma Run/Walk for the Pierogies benefiting the American Cancer Society Parma Area Relay for Life
- Saturday, July 7 at 8:30 am
- at Cuyahoga Community College’s Western Campus in Parma.
- From the race organizer: Once again pierogies will be provided to all participants by Parma’s own Little Polish Diner and Krakow Deli. There will also be revamped course and new, exciting t-shirt design.
- Regsiter online at http://www.hermescleveland.com/roadracing/events/parmapierogies.asp
It’s going to be one busy and HOT summer here in CLE! What are you looking forward to during the month of June?
Presenting the PIP Memorial Day Weekend 2012 To Do List
Watermelon eating contest versus VP of Fuzz: it started on Thursday, will continue until supplies are out. Surprisingly, I’m winning, but I think that’s because Grady can’t open the door to the fridge. He is quite pushy once it’s out and on the counter…
Consideration of attending the Tremont Greek Fest: It’s one of PIP Aunt Kathy’s favorite summer festivals in one of my favorite neighborhoods.
Yoga & Margaritas with my girls: We’re going to need some serious hydration after a ninety minute sweat fest…
Wallpaper Removal: after an absurd amount of time living in this house, I’ve had it with my master bedroom. The Great Paint of 2012 is on the way, but only if we survive the Battle of the Floral Wallpaper. Tips on how to remove super glued wallpaper are greatly appreciated. I’m only slightly exaggerating…
Pup walks, fun runs and/or a Metroparks hike: any chance to be outside, I will take it this weekend!
Grilling out on Monday with my favorite guys: How does this get better? Dad’s cooking! If I can, I’ll head to Whole Foods Market Cedar Center today for their $5.99 lobster tail special as a special holiday treat for us all.
Will buy those, our favorite peanut butter and more watermelon. Grady’s already giving me the stink eye that we’re low on supplies…
What’s on your to-do list this holiday weekend?