On Friday the 15th, I attended TEDxCLE 2011 at the Capitol Theatre in the Gordon Square Arts District. Allison from Green Dog Wine and I were the winners of Alexa’s ticket giveaway for the event – and boy did we all luck out to be in the room that day.
I could wax poetically about the energy & the inspiration in the room. But instead, I want to share the quotes I jotted down in my TEDxCLE notebook throughout the day. They all stand on their own, but all listed together, help to emphasize those “Ideas Worth Spreading” – the mission of the TED organization.
…and since it IS Tuesday, you know what’s about to happen here…
TEN THINGS THIS TUESDAY: MEMORABLE QUOTES FROM THE 2011 TEDxCLE
1. from Jonathon Sawyer speaking on sustainability: “Start simple. Start small.”
2. from Ari Maron speaking on a world-class Cleveland: “What are you passionate about? What’s something that you won’t give up on?”
3. from Paul Hill, Jr. on ritual: “When there is a void, people seek to feed it.”
4. from Dr. David Franklin: “…the phrase: to friend – how the word has changed from a noun to a verb…”
5. from Valerie Mayen on building Cleveland through the arts: “Down with the awkward silence.”
6. from Dr. David Franklin on museums: “Museums hold the authentic… there is still a need for the prestige of the past.”
7. from Jeff Siegler speaking on historic preservation: “Fix the economy by fixing the sense of place.”
8. from Ted Howard on co-ops & community: “…leverage the large assets we have…”
9. from Valerie Mayen on building Cleveland through the arts: “honest and shared living: a way of life that is not employed as much as you think it is.”
10. from Thomas Starinsky on historic preservation: “The story is never over – it evolves.”
Didn’t get to attend TEDxCLE? You can enjoy the same video presentation as we did by checking out this YouTube video of TED presenter Deb Roy in “The Birth of a Word”. It’s worth the 20 minutes – I promise!
Disclosure: I won a ticket to the TEDxCLE 2011 event in a blog giveaway (thank you again Alexa). My thoughts and opinions are 100% my own. These are my best attempts at quoting these individuals from their presentations.