Yesterday, Serious Eats ran a poll asking Are You a Sweet or Salty Breakfast Eater? My answer: Salty, more specifically, SAVORY. No questions. I eat eggs every.single.morning.
My favorite breakfast? SAVORY SPICY OATS.
Now, don’t freak out by the egg in the bowl of oatmeal. When I first saw this breakfast option on many food blogs across the land, I, too, was hesitant. But then I asked myself two questions:
- Do I love oatmeal?
- Do I love eggs prepared sunny side up?
The answer to these questions was HELL YES. If you answered them the same way, then get yourself to the kitchen and make my version of this bad boy of breakfast glory.
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 2/3 cups old fashioned oats
- salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, and garlic powder to taste
- 1/2 oz of pepper jack cheese (I have also used 1/2 a Babybel wheel)
- one jumbo egg
The Method To My Madness:
- Bring the water to a boil in a small sauce pan.
- Once at a rolling boil, add the oats and spices. Cook according to the oats’ package directions/until they reach your desired consistency.
- In a separate skillet, cook the egg sunny side up, making sure that the egg is set, but that the yolk is still runny.
- While the egg cooks, I place the oats in my serving bowl, top the oats with the cheese, then microwave the oats/cheese mix until the cheese is melted into the oats.
- Add the sunny side egg to bowl of oats, yolk side down. Break the yolk and mix the egg into the oat mix.
Optional Add-Ins Include:
- hot sauce or salsa
- egg whites (my favorite – added in with the oats while cooking)
- breakfast “meat” of choice: sausage, bacon, ham
I am posting this today after the great #fitblog chat on Twitter on Tuesday evening. A couple ladies had never heard of Savory Oats. I knew I had to spread the love!
You never knew oatmeal could be so exciting, huh?!