This Saturday, I had the pleasure of attending the 2017 Five Star Sensation benefiting University Hospitals’ Seidman Cancer Center, presented by Huntington Bank. Two years ago, at my first Five Star, I made the rookie mistake of going ALL IN on ALL THE EATS way too early (I must have been trying to keep up with my husband!), and was full before I made it to the dessert tent. BOOOOOO. Even back then in 2015, I was a seasoned food and wine event pro, so I didn’t know what I was thinking!! In 2017 though, I was flying solo and so the eating plan was all in my hands…
The things I LOVE about Five Star Sensation:
- The chefs: Not only did Chef Host Michael Symon bring together Cleveland’s finest culinary pros, chefs come to Cleveland from all over the world to support this event.
- The food: All those high caliber chefs pull out all the stops to impress the attendees with their best dishes. See my pics below!
- The wine: I’ve been lucky enough to work with the team at Vintage Wine Distributor whom brings together some of the most incredible wineries to wet your whistle. And the fact that rosé is so popular this year was a very good thing for me that night, ha!
- The dessert tent: As the event takes place across several tents set up over the parking areas at the Eastern Campus of Cuyahoga Community College, the first two tents greet you with all the savory items one can imagine. But when 9pm hits and the doors open to the dessert tent, then the party really starts! All those sweet offerings combined with mood lighting and dance music make for one very fun time!
- The reason: Since 1987, renowned chefs, master vintners and passionate volunteers have donated their time and talent every two years to create an event with real impact. To date, the event has raised more than $18 million to support research and community outreach programs at UH Seidman Cancer Center. Incredible!!
So enough talk, let’s eat! Here’s what I enjoyed at this year’s Five Star:
fire food and drink‘s biscuit & jam | #yeswayrosé | Stuffed squash blossoms from Culinary Vegetable Institute / The Chef’s Garden
Grilled Avocado from Fahrenheit Cleveland | Lamb from Urban Farmer Cleveland | Pasta from Chef Jonathon Sawyer
The table where EVERYONE told you to go: Sam Choy’s Poke To The Max station
Pasta from Flour | LOVED these tablescape designs | A spicy chicken with corn salsa bite
Chef Hubert Keller‘s soup offering | Wines as coordinated by Vintage Wine Distributor | The perfect chance to try octopus!
Selfies with Chef Host Michael Symon | My favorite foodie couple celebrating their anniversary
My work husband and his husband — my dates for the evening! | All smiles with Chef Eric Williams from Momocho
Many thanks to the entire University Hospitals team for inviting me to attend this year’s Five Star Sensation! Follow University Hospitals on Facebook and Twitter, and UH Seidman Cancer Center on Instagram at @uhseidman to keep in touch all year long.
Want another POV on Saturday night’s festivities? Check out the Edible Cleveland blog for their experience! (Written by Lisa Sands, pictured above)
Disclosure: University Hospitals offered me and a guest the opportunity to attend to the 2017 Five Star Sensation event. All thoughts and opinions are my own.