When the opportunity to stay overnight at the Kimpton Schofield Hotel (you did read my recap from our stay early this week, right?!) presented itself to us recently, I knew exactly where we had to have dinner that night. Lucky for us, we didn’t even have to leave the hotel to have excellent cuisine and service at a Cleveland restaurant we had visited before and were way over due for a visit back to — Parker’s Downtown.
In case you’re not familiar with Parker’s already, a bit of background:
- Co-proprietors James and Victoria Mowbray started Parker’s Downtown as an homage to all that is great about Northeast Ohio.
- Their downtown Cleveland restaurant offers a space with an expansive layout including distinctive architectural aspects like industrial rustic décor. It’s not at all overblown or ostentatious – in fact, it reflects what I would consider to be rust belt glam… if such a thing exists!
- On the food side of things: Parker’s Executive Chef Andrew Gorski – with stops at the Culinary Institute of America, Thomas Keller’s Couchon, The Butcher & Brewer and the Tremont Tap House under his beat – runs the culinary ship at Parker’s Downtown. He uses local ingredients in the style of a ‘field to plate’ philosophy that distinguishes and celebrates Northeast Ohio’s food heritage.
So enough chatting, let’s get to eating! Here’s what we enjoyed Friday night…
APEROL SPRITZ featuring Prosecco, Aperol, Soda. A classic Italian refresher, served over ice with an orange slice and THE STANDARD featuring Larceny Bourbon, Angostura, Demerara, Luxardo Cherry, Orange Peel
SMOKED CHICKEN WINGS with 5 whole (HUGE) wings, salsa verde, smoked blue cheese whip. (This picture does NOT do this dish justice, BTW.)
THE PROFESSOR with Old Overholt Rye, Smoked Tea & Clove Syrup, Full Measure Bitters, Star Anise, Orange Peel, Laphroaig; an old-fashioned variation
CAULIFLOWER SOUP with king crab, tarragon, curry oil and CAESAR SALAD with focaccia, parmigiano reggiano, pickled shallot, white anchovy and quail egg (not pictured)
20oz RIBEYE with smashed red potatoes, chilled asparagus & mushroom salad, one of the specials that night (that looks like has made iself onto their regular menu in a 16oz option); paired with a glass of red wine
SCALLOPS, over a celery root purée, another one of the specials that night; paired with a glass of white wine
TIRAMISU, the Italian classic dessert to close out the meal
OUR FAVORITES: Wow, it’s hard to narrow it down from all that delicious food — it was all executed so elegantly and left me longing for more room in my stomach. But if I was coming back for another visit, I couldn’t pass up the chicken wings and the cauliflower soup — pair those with one of their fantastic cocktails and I would be one happy girl!
LONG STORY SHORT: Parker’s Downtown is FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR more than just a hotel restaurant. It lives in the heart of our city and feeds off of its energy. Fueled by CLE, creativity and execution, I can’t understand why anyone wouldn’t make the trek downtown to enjoy all that they have to offer.
Ready to check out Parker’s for yourself? Some fun, current promotions include:
- Parker’s participation in Downtown Cleveland Restaurant Week – starting today, February 16th, through the 25th – details including menu here.
- An exclusive February offer from Kimpton Schofield Hotel including overnight accommodations, a Pre Fixe Menu for two at Parker’s, a bottle of champagne plus more – contact the Kimpton Schofield directly for more info on this opportunity by calling (440) 730-5636.
Thank you to the Parker’s Downtown entire team for their incredible food and wonderful hospitality Friday night! Special thanks to Chef Andrew for stopping by to say hello, as well to our outstanding server, Josh — we’ll see you guys for another round of those chicken wings at a happy hour soon.
Disclosure: Parker’s Downtown invited us to enjoy a complimentary meal at their Cleveland location. All thoughts and opinions are always my own.